F & S Maranto Italian Bakery
Your Subtitle text
Our History


Beginning 1914, brothers Frank and Sam Maranto made our distinctive Italian Vienna Bread and delivered it door to door to Baltimore neighborhoods.  The bakery operated in one row home on Pearl Street in the Seton Hill neighborhood of the city (near Lexington Market).  

As the business grew, so did the need for more employees.  In typical Italian fashion, employees were found around the family dinner table.  As soon as sons were old enough to push a broom, they began working after school and on weekends in the family business.  They graduated from sweeping, to packing, to baking, once they could master the 26 ft. peal boards used to place the dough into the hearth.



SECOND GENERATION

In 1954, the second generation of brothers, Charlie, Tony, and Joe Maranto, left their livelihoods and returned to the family business where they literally grew up.  Under their new management, the bakery continued to grow; new machinery was purchased and additional employees were hired.  At the same time, the third generation of Maranto boys (seven young men) were handed the broom and the family tradition continued.

THIRD GENERATION
In 1969, Sal Maranto, (Charlie's son) returned to the bakery to ease the transition and sudden void left at his Uncle Joe's passing.  In 1975, Sal's brother Bill joined the business, as well.  Big changes came in the 1980's as Charlie and Tony again decided to expand to meet the growing demand.  The four row houses that originally stood at 244-252 Pearl Street were demolished to make way for additional equipment and the growing fleet of delivery trucks.

FOURTH GENERATION
In 2014, after over 40 years of dedication, Sal retired. Bill continues to focus on customer satisfaction and expansion of the business. All of his children have now joined the bakery continuing the long standing tradition of a family owned and operated business.
Website Builder